Mustard Seeds have been around more than 5,000 years. They are known to have number of health benefits, since they’re low in calories and high in Nutritional value and have a lot of antibacterial and antiseptic qualities.
They’re available in different varieties — Black mustard, White mustard and Brown Indian mustard in whole.
Mustard seeds, also known as ‘Sarso‘ or ‘Rai.
It is good to use Mustard Seeds in Daily diet as whole or as well as in powder form. If you want to use in powder form, then Buy whole and grind in your own Spice Grinder.
Mustard seeds or mustard powder can be used as a condiment in a variety of dishes.
Mustard seeds can be used as is or can be roasted in a skillet.
While dried mustard powder does not have a very strong quality, mixing it with water initiates an enzymatic process that enhances its pungency and heat.
I use mustard Seeds in whole form only.
Mustard seeds are a source of relief for people having rheumatic arthritis. The selenium and magnesium content in it helps in providing relief from this problem
Mustard oil is known to be great for the skin because it generates warmth.
Mustard seeds or mustard in general is known to relieve any congestion problems in respiration.
Mustard seeds are also known to be beneficial for Asthma patients. The presence of minerals like copper, magnesium, iron and selenium in it are responsible for the prevention of Asthma Attacks
Question: Suffering from migraines?
Answer: Mustard seeds are known to give relief from the number of migraine attacks you get.
Mustard Greens or leaves of mustard plants are an excellent source of essential minerals including potassium, calcium and phosphorous.
It is also a good source of magnesium and dietary fiber.
The immense wealth of vitamin content offered by Mustard Green includes a profuse amount of vitamin A, and vitamin K with folate, and vitamin C also present in decent amounts.
Question: What does a mustard seed look like?
Answer: Mustard seed is small and appears in different colors, such as Black, Brown and Yellow.
How To use Mustard Seeds?
- Mustard seeds are largely used for tempering dishes.
- You can use mustard seeds in Pakoras while making Batter for pakoras
- You can use for any Dish while frying onion, tomato puree
- Mustard seeds can be used to make Curry
- Mustard Seeds can be used to make Soups
Recipe Using Mustard Seeds
How to Make Poha?
- Wash Poha medium size
- Right before serving, temper a little Olive Oil in a Pan, add Brown, Mustard Seeds, some cumin seeds, Raw Peanuts and Coriander Seeds.
- Once they start to splutter, now put chopped onion and stir for a while.
- Now add Salt and some other spices
- Now add washed Poha and stir for a while
- Sprinkle some chopped fresh Coriander and serve immediately.
- It is very tasty and delicious side Dish or good to go with Tea Also.
More Recipes with Mustard Seeds
- Boil Simple Plain Rice
- Right before serving, temper a little Olive Oil in a pan, add Brown, Mustard Seeds, some cumin seeds, Raw Peanuts and Coriander Seeds.
Once they start to splutter, now put chopped onion and stir for a while.
- Now add Salt and some other spices; Oregano leaves, pinch of black pepper, pinch of Turmeric, pinch of Red Chili powder, pinch of coriander powder
- Now add Boiled Rice and stir for a while
- Sprinkle some fresh chopped Coriander and serve immediately with plain Yogurt or any Soup; such as Dal, Black Chana or Kabuli Chana Sabji.
How to grow Sarson Saag?
1-how to Grow Mustard Seeds in Soil?
Answer: Basically there are many ways to grow mustard seeds. For example:
1: Grow Mustard Seeds in Soil: If you have land, then dig some space and sprinkle mustard seeds and water them regularly. They grow so nicely and cut the leaves when they are ready to harvest. Don’t pull from roots. If you will cut, then they will grow again and again.
2-How to Grow Mustard Seeds in Pot?
Grow Mustard Seeds in Pot: If you don’t have land, then don’t worry, still you can grow in Pots. Take any Pot, whether plastic or Terracotta. First of all in pot put some stones for good drainage, then add potting soil and fill up to 80%. Now sprinkle Mustard Seeds of your choice and cover with soil again and water it. Keep on watering everyday and when your leaves are ready, then harvest for Saag or Bhurji.
3-How to Grow Mustard Seeds in Water?
Third method to Grow mustard seeds is in Water, where you don’t need;
neither land nor even soil. There is almost Zero cost to grow Saag in water. Here you need only seeds. Rest you need One basket with holes in bottom and the second thing you need is for water in the base. As you can see in the➡😜 right image. This is how I used white basket, which I bought from Dollarama for $1.25 and for water I used steel bowl, which was in my home already.
Watch Video to Grow Sarson Saag in Water below
There are many ways to grow your vegetables; such as you can grow in Pots, Grow Bags, in Soil and also some Vegetables you can grow in Water.